Who doesn't love a big bowl of Spaghetti Bolognese! I am actually salivating at just the mention of it! It is one of the best hearty meals to have after a long day. Especially if your a runner, as it is a good protein and carbohydrate filled meal to have the evening before a big run, or when you are back from one.
This recipe is great for adding in your own personal touch with additional flavors. As you will see from a lot of my recipes, I have variations due to the fact myself and the Runner love different foods and flavors. I am a plain eater, whereas the Runner can't get enough of spice and heat in his food.
There is also an added bonus that this takes less than 30 minutes to prepare!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed (or a tbsp of Lazy Garlic/Garlic Purée)
- 350g Lean Beef Mince (5% fat or less) (or Lean Turkey Mince is just as tasty!)
- 420g Strained Tomatoes/Canned Chopped Tomatoes
- 280ml Beef Stock (Beef Broth works just as well)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- 275g Dried Spaghetti (Use Whole Grain for Extra Fiber)
- You will need some sort of oil for frying, I use Zero Calorie Cooking Spray, but recommend Coconut Oil if you want a healthy fat.
- If your a fan of Cheese make sure you have some to sprinkle on top!
- With your pan on a high heat, add the garlic for 2–3 minutes until softened, then add in the mince and cook until browned.
- Add the Beef Stock, Strained Tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce.(I tend to add extra Worcestershire sauce to give the sauce a deeper flavor)
- Season lightly with your Salt and Pepper, and bring to the boil.
- Once it is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until reduced and thickened. (This is a good time to check the flavor, maybe you will need to add some more Salt and Pepper or Worcestershire Sauce)
- While your Bolognese is thickening, cook the Spaghetti as per the packet instructions.
- Once your Spaghetti and Sauce is cooked, divide between 4 plates. Top the Spaghetti with the Bolognese sauce.
I tend to add some vegetables on the side of this to bulk up my dish as I don't like adding them to my main sauce.
For the Runners Spicy Bolognese I add the following to taste:-
- Red, Green & Yellow Peppers Chopped
- Red Onion Chopped
- Chili Flakes
- Hot Sauce - I use Tapatio
After Step 3 f the method (above), I add all of these ingrediants in. Note that if you do this and leave a portion in the fridge for another day, the spice will increase so beware!
You can alter the recipe to suit your own taste by adding what vegetables you like, either by adding into the Bolognese Sauce itself or like me-having them on the side!
If your not a fan of having the regular Spaghetti, why not Spiralize/julienne a vegetable? Like a Zucchini, Cucumber or Carrot. You can also cut and bake a Butternut Squash and scoop out the middle with a fork and make Spaghetti Squash.
This recipe is Free on Slimming World, and for Calorie Counters I believe it's about 160 Calories for a portion of the basic Bolognese, you will have to alter the calories for what you add and what you use as your Spaghetti.
Let me know what you like to add to make the Spaghetti Bolognese your own!
Frances (The Muffin!)